Taking steps to reduce our environmental impact.
We are always improving strategies and processes that result in continuous refinement of the plan and reduction of the Market’s footprint. This is evident in elements such as our paperless vendor application and operations management processes, collection and distribution of items for repurposing by Market vendors, and efforts to minimize waste at the Market.
1. As the Market’s management company, FarmShop, LLC operates as a virtually paperless business. Utilizing the latest in food-hub, Market management and business management software enables the company’s small team to manage more projects and relationships effectively. We’re reducing the environmental impact of the #ICTFoodshed.
2. Look for bins placed at specific vendor company booths to collect items to be re-purposed. (Jars, egg cartons, t-shirts, fabrics, etc.) Vendor companies that re-purpose and/or recycle, receive additional promotion throughout the year to assist in their waste reduction efforts.
3. Bodacious Betty's a staple Market vendor company, initiated a #FutureFriendlyBags program. Participating companies include Graze the Prairie grass fed beef and lamb, The Health Connection, Belle and Buddy’s Kitchen and Kathy’s Quilts. Stop by and receive a FREE repurposed/reusuable bag.
4. We develop evolving marketing strategies that encourage shoppers to bring reusable bags and vendor companies to stop using plastics.
5. We practice compost collection for on-site food waste sponsored by Nudge Compost.
6. We support ICT Food Rescue in their efforts to reduce food waste through recovery and distribution to people in need.
7. Bring in your used egg cartons and drop them off at the Market’s Information Booth for distribution to participating farms for reuse. Better yet, buy real, farm fresh, pastured, organically raised eggs at the Market, then bring that carton back to the producer. Look for Orie's Farm Fresh, Golden Prairie Farm, Serenity Farm, One Feather Farm, Graze the Prairie, and Muddy Boots Farm.
8. The sale of bottled water is not permitted at the Market and we promote the use of re-usable bottles/glasses for water. Find our free water bottle refill station, including herb infused water at the Market’s Information Booth. FILTERED WATER ALWAYS! For those that forget their water bottle at home, we offer compostable, eco-conscious cups for $1.
9. We believe in subsidizing space at the Market for local, eco-conscious non-profits and civic organizations to showcase their work. Check out our Community Booth opportunities!
10. We work with city government other organizations to encourage shoppers to walk, take one of Wichita's Q-Line Trolley's or ride their bike to the Market, instead of driving.
11. Market Priority is given to produce and meat/poultry products grown/raised using environmentally responsible, healthful and humane methods.
12. Market Priority is given to vendor companies who utilize sustainable and eco-friendly practices.
13. We welcome vendor companies who use re-purposed items or create reusable items.
Wichitans are drawn to OTFM not only for the fun, historic atmosphere and great food choices, but because of the growing number of producers that have adopted sound practices that regenerate, rather than deplete, the environment.